Incoming President Susan Day rang the bell to open the first meeting of the new Kiwanis year. And, we were all excited to be at a brand-new location downtown at UCSD Park & Market.
After leading the Pledge of Allegiance, Susan welcomed our guests Evan Kay, Kurt Cecconi and Mark Neville. Mark gave an inpromptu update of the Holiday Bowl.
Next, Past President Mike Boland introduced our speaker, Gil Cabrera, President of the Board of the San Diego Airport Authority. Gil updated us on the plans for the new Terminal 1. Members were engaged and asked lots of questions.
On to birthday celebrations for these members:
10/1 – Gordon Boerner
10/3 – Susan Day
10/7 – John Rush
10/9 – Sanam Charlton
10/14 – Richard Shaw
10/16 – Jay Jeffcoat
10/16 – Paul Riggs
10/19 – Monica Ball
Our members were very generous with their self-fines and celebrations to commemorate:
- Jim Floros - for waking up
- David Jay - forgot his pin
- Carl Nettleton - forgot his pin and his son and wife are in London
- Justin Frisco - Burn Institute event was lovely
- Judy Leitner - Carl’s phone went off
- Karina Sousa - for absence
- Gordon Boerner - for absence
- Jay Jeffcoat - Padres in playoffs, his birthday, years in club
- Ryan Callan
- Mike Boland - Kiwanis water bottle auction winner, donated to Susan
- Jeremy Alexander - no pin
- Brian Krause
- Susan Day - her birthday
- Monica Ball - her birthday
Judy Leitner presented Mike Boland with his Past President Kiwanis pin.
Mike Boland presented Susan Day with her President Kiwanis pin.
Susan Day presented Steve Morris with his Vice President Kiwanis pin.
We did a recap of last month's events, including the service project with Jeremy Alexander and the Salvation Army.
We ended with a look forward towards upcoming invents, the meeting concluded on time!